My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Yeast Cookie Butterfingers


I found this recipe in my Southern Living Cookies Cookbook. I though it was unusual because it uses yeast for the leavening. I knew I had to try it when I saw it. I did add the almond extract, because I love almond extract in cookies.

Ok, I tried one...boy was it good! Butterey, almondy, flakey...mmm! I'll be making these for Christmas.

I loved the toasted coconut! I don't think I've ever toasted coconut before. I just put it in the oven on a cookie sheet at 375 for 3 minutes. Keep an eye on it. Super easy!

Who would of thought, cookies made with yeast!


Yeast Cookie Butterfingers


1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons warm water
1 egg, separated
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
toasted coconut, chopped nuts or sprinkles for rolling cookies

In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let sit for 3-4 minutes.

Cream the butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Mix in the egg yolk, almond extract and yeast mixture. Add in the flours. Chill the dough for 1 hour.

Roll about 1 tablespoon of dough into a finger shape. Dip in egg white then roll in coconut, chopped nuts or sprinkles. Place on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Store in a covered container.




No comments: