My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls

This is a recipe I got years ago when we lived in California. I think it's fun having recipes that were given to you by different people. I always think of that person when I make their recipe. I love this recipe because I can make it up the night before, then it just needs an hour to rise after you roll them out and 20 minutes to bake. It's a little work, but well worth it! It makes plenty too, so I always have enough to share with my neighbors.


Cinnamon Rolls

2 tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1 cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted
In a mixer fitted with a bread hook pour water and sprinkle with yeast and the 1 tablespoon of sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add milk, butter, eggs, 1/3 cup sugar and half the four. Let mix, then add the salt and the rest of the flour, 1 cup at a time. The dough will be real sticky. Let knead for 8 minutes. Put dough in a greased bowl and cover with a towel. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.


When you're ready to use the dough, roll out on a floured surface about 3/4 inch thick, making a rectangle. Spread the melted 1/2 cup butter over the dough. Mix the 1 cup sugar and the 1 tablespoon of cinnamon together and sprinkle over the butter. Roll up like a jellyroll and using a piece of dental floss, cut the dough. (If you haven't used dental floss before, just slide it under the roll of dough, pull it up and crisscross over the top, then tighten it until it slices the dough. This works so well, and it doesn't squash it like a knife would)
Put the rolls onto greased sheets and press them down just a little.


This is before they have risen

This is after they have risen


Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Spread with glaze while they are hot.

Glaze

6 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all the ingredients till smooth and creamy. Spread on hot cinnamon rolls.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Your neighbors who like to eat the dough raw, right? Bleuch. I keep meaning to try that when I make bread and I just can't bring myself to do it. Yuck! I definitely couldn't eat a whole raw cinnamon roll!

Rita said...

Hi Carol

Your cinnamon rolls look great, I never made them at home. You are welcome to post the skillet cookie and add a link to Pink Bites. Thanks for asking!