My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

White Texas Sheet Cake and some Decorating

This is the chandelier my sweet hubby made for our dinning room. It's another of my favorite things! I had seen something similar on a decorating show on TV, but we added a little more to it. Yup, that is a clock hanging down in the middle and yes it does work! The lights have metal colanders above them and forks and spoons are hanging down from wires. He used metal pipe and fittings to suspend them from the ceiling. I love it for it's whimsical uniqueness!



I found this terrific cake recipe a while back. It's a White Texas Sheet Cake. It's very similar to the regular Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake except there is no cocoa powder and it calls for sour cream instead of buttermilk. There is also almond extract in it which is one of my favorites! This recipe whips up pretty fast!

White Texas Sheet Cake

1 cup butter
1 cup water
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream, I used yogurt
1 teaspoon almond extract

Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

For the cake: In a small saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil. Remove from heat. In a large mixing bowl add the dry ingredients. Pour in the butter and water mixture, sour cream (or yogurt), almond extract and the eggs. Mix well. Pour in a large cookie sheet, (15x10x1) the one with sides that is sprayed with Pam. Bake at 375 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

For frosting: In the same small saucepan bring butter and milk to a boil. Put the powdered sugar in a large bowl, add the butter and water mixture and the almond extract. Beat well and spread on cake.




Next time I make this cake I think I'll let it cool before I frost it. Then it will look a little prettier!










Photobucket

No comments: