My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Aebleskiver

Chocolate chip filled Aebleskivers



Aebleskivers are one of my kids favorite breakfasts! Probably because they are made with a pancake batter. Aebleskivers are a Danish treat. My mother would make them for special occasions. She found my pan at a second hand store. You can often find them there, maybe because people don't know what to do with them. They are usually made out of cast iron. To make them you take your special aebleskiver pan spray the holes with Pam and you put in a little batter, add a little jam, chocolate chips or chopped apples and cinnamon, then a little more batter. You let it brown a little, then turn them with a fork and let them brown again and Voila! Little pancake balls! Then you can dust them with powdered sugar. Yum! They are best served hot, but kids will eat them up if you have left overs. If you want to try them you can go here Aebleskever Pan to buy one. Chef Arne also has an Aebleskever Blog .
.
Aebleskivers
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons soda
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cardamon
3 eggs
3 cups buttermilk (I just took out 3 tablespoons of the mild and added 3 tablespoons vinegar and let it sit for a few minutes)
1/4 cup oil
Jam, chocolate chips, chopped apple mix with cinnamon and sugar
Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to mix. Add the wet ingredients and mix just until the lumps are gone. Now, heat up your aebleskiver pan and grease the cups well. Add a couple of tablespoons of the batter, then add a filling (jam, chips, apple mixture) then add another tablespoon of the batter. Let cook until the edges start to look a little brown. Turn carefully with a fork and brown for a few more minutes. Flip the pan onto a platter and dust with powdered sugar.

These have chocolate chips in the middle


These have jam in the middle.

If your in a hurry you can always use pancake mix and just add some cardamom!











Photobucket

2 comments:

Chef Arne of Solvang said...

There are many ways to make aebleskiver. I for one prefer to make them and add topping instead of filling them. It is so much easier and no mess.
Have you seen my new nine hole pans? They are the best on the market. we will also soon have electric heated pans, for plug and bake. You can see all about them on my site: www.aebleskiver.com
Sincerely,
Arne

Kristen said...

Oh wow those look good!

I think Chef Arne knows what he's talking about, because the only place I've had REAL aebleskivers besides my grandmother's kitchen was in Solvang!

Also...did you see the episode of "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the Food Network where they showed a place in New York that makes them?

Anyway...thanks for the recipe. I've never actually made them myself, but I think I will! I like them plain (with the powdered sugar of course) and then dipped in jam.