My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Steph's Congo Bars

Do you have a favorite kitchen tool that you need multiples of? My daughter's favorites are whisks and colanders. She has more colanders in a cupboard. In my kitchen I have two whisks and two colanders. My favorite kitchen tools are 9x13 pans, I have three and one in the travel trailer that I borrow often!. The other is rubber spatulas, I have about nine or ten of them! What are your favorite kitchen tools? And how many do you have of them? When I made these bar cookies Jennie didn't have a 9x13 pan so I used two round cake pans. I just had to adjust the cooking time a little.


I found this recipe for Steph's Congo Bars over at Frieda's blog, Lovin From The Oven. I love to make bar cookies, so much faster than dropping out cookies and these are yummy! Nice and thick and dense chocolate, yum! We were out of brown sugar, so we used white, and I used melted butter, but they were still wonderful!

Steph's Congo Bars


3/4 c. shortening, melted
2 1/4 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 t. baking powder
2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
1 c. chocolate chips, I added 2 cups
1/2 c. chopped walnuts, optional

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam.

Melt shortening. Add brown sugar and mix well.

Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.

Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.

Add chocolate chips and nuts.

Spread into a greased 9x13 pan.

Bake in a 350ยบ oven for 25-30 minutes.

Cool completely. Cut into squares and serve.




2 comments:

Jennie said...

Those were so yummy! And the kids just about wiped out half the batch!!!

Frieda Loves Bread said...

So glad you enjoyed these bars...they are addictive!