My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Chocolate Mint Thumbprints


This is a picture of Sloan modeling the gator I made my mom for one of her Christmas presents. It's a knit cap with the top cut off, then I just turned the ends under and zigzagged them. I love the ruffled edge it made. I bought 4 more caps and made Sloan and I each a tan gator and a gray gator.


This is a glass case that I made for a pair of sunglasses Chauncey is giving someone for Christmas. I love the orange fabric, I found it at D.I. for $1.



These were a really fun cookie to make. Sloan loves chocolate and mint, and these look so cute, I had to try them. I found the recipe in a little cookbook my my bought in the checkout line at the store. Next time I think I'll cut the Andes mints in thirds and I'll make a double batch.

Chocolate Mint Thumbprints

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
2 egg yolks
16 drops green food coloring
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons cream
3 tablespoons butter
18 Andes Thin Mints, cut in half diagonally

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixer beat the butter and powdered sugar for 2 minutes. Beat in the egg yolks and peppermint extract. Add the green food coloring.

Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl with a whisk. Add the dry ingredients mixing until just combined.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheets. Take the handle of a wooden spoon and make a little well in each cookie ball. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Take the wooden spoon handle and push into each cookie again. Cool for 2 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool.

Melt the chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave for 20 second intervals stirring after each until the chips are almost melted. Continue stirring until melted. Add the cream and butter and mix well. Spoon about 1 teaspoon into each cooled cookie and top with a slice of Andes mint.



No comments: