My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Work For Me Wednesday and Banana Bread and Banana Bread French Toast!

I found another use for banana bread! If you have some extra bananas going brown this is a great breakfast treat. It works for me! Now head on over to We Are That Family and see what everyone else is up too!





I always seem to use a different recipe when I make banana bread, and this is one I found in one of my bread cookbooks. It has a nice texture and took care of all my brown bananas!


Banana Bread

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 cups flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups mashed bananas

In a mixer beat the shortening and sugar for 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and beat well. In another bowl measure the dry ingredients and whisk to blend. Alternately add the bananas and the dry ingredients, mix well. Pour into one 9x5 inch greased loaf pan and one small loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes for the 9x5 loaf and 35 minutes for the small loaf, or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen loafs with a knife and remove to cool on wire rack. Let cool completely. Cover and store overnight or until ready to serve.


Now you can take your banana bread and turn it into french toast! My family loved this!

Banana Bread French Toast

1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Slices of banana bread

Heat a griddle or frying pan and spray with Pam. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Dip banana bread in egg mixture, on both, sides and fry until golden. Serve with maple syrup.

5 comments:

Annikke said...

I need to try this! I often use raisin bread for french toast

Pauline Wiles said...

This is a strange confession, but I've never tried French Toast. I think I'm scared I'll like it too much!

Becky said...

This is a great idea! I once turned leftover banana bread into a trifle dessert by layering it with fresh bananas, vanilla pudding and whipping cream. It was delicious.

Megan said...

Banana french toast? Now your talking! :) Looks delicious!

Frugal Sara said...

Ohh this looks great. I just love banana bread and French toast. The best of both worlds!