My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcakes and a Contest!

My daughter Sloan wanted to make cupcakes, so after a little chat to figure out what kind she wanted, and a call to her older sister, Jennie (over at Tuffets) we came up with our own recipe with Sloan's favorite ice cream flavors! We had so many goodies in the house we walked some over across the street to some neighbors with little kids! Thank goodness they didn't mind!


Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcakes

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons cocoa powder (I used 3T dark cocoa & 3T regular)
1 1/2 teaspoons soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (I used milk soured with 2T vinegar,minus 2T milk)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup shortening
1 bag mint chips, save out about 1/3 cup for top of cupcakes
11 crushed mint Oreo's (I just crushed them up in a Ziplock bag)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners (makes 24).
In a mixer bowl measure all the dry ingredients and mix for a minute. Add the wet ingredients and beat for 3 minutes on high. Add 1 bag mint flavored chips and crushed mint Oreos, and mix in with a spoon. Scoop into cupcake liners, I use my 1/4 cup ice cream scoop. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool and frost.

Mint Oreo Frosting

8 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
2-3 drops green food coloring
8 Oreo's, finely crushed

Toppings

Reserved mint chips from cupcakes
Cut up Oreo's

Cream the butter and shortening, add the powdered sugar, mint extract and 1/4 cup of the milk. Add the rest of the milk if needed. Add in crushed Oreo's by hand. Pipe frosting on cupcakes. Top with some cut up Oreo's and some of the reserved mint chips.


Sloan is wearing my favorite apron that a dear friend of mine gave me for my birthday this year. It looks like a baby doll top. I keep teasing my family that if I can't decide what to wear, I might just wear it with a little t-shirt!

Here's another fun giveaway to enter! Go to Sweet Life In The Valley and check it out!

No comments: