My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 5, 2009

We need a chocolate fix here!


Do you ever notice how sometimes when you want to bake all you can think of is must have chocolate? Well, that's what I was thinking and that's what my kids were saying too, so I grabbed my trusty recipe stash and pulled out my whoopie pie recipe.

I found out a while back that Whoopie Pies are a southern treat. I got my recipe years ago when I was first married. I don't make them very often because they seem like a lot of work, but then when I make them I realize they're not! So if you're craving some chocolate these do the trick! They don't make a whole lot because they are sandwiched together, but it could be a good thing that you don't end up with a lot, they are rich and yummy and totally decadent!

Whoopie Pies


1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1 egg yolk, save the egg white for the frosting filling
1/2 cup hot water
1 teaspoon soda
2/3 buttermilk, I used milk with vinegar(take out 1 tablespoon of milk & replace with vinegar)
2/3 cup cocoa powder
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Frosting Filling

2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg white

Cream the shortening, butter and sugar. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Dissolve the soda in the hot water. Add the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa & salt) alternately with the soured milk and soda water. Drop onto cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-9 minutes. These are a cakey cookie. Remove from cookie sheet to cool on a cookie rack. When cool frost the bottom of one cookie. Place the bottom of a second cookie on frosting. Enjoy!

Frosting filling

In a bowl cream the butter and shortening. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and egg white. Beat until fluffy.


No comments: