My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Our Favorite Coffee Cake

On Friday I went on a school field trip with my son Chauncey's 7th grade class. We went to Antelope Island. It is such a remote area. It has a dry barren beauty. One of our assignments was to hike up Buffalo peak and sit and write or draw for 15 minutes. The view was really pretty from there.


This is my son writing

Here's a picture of my little group near the beach

This is on the bus going home







I found this coffee cake recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook years ago, and it's become another family favorite. I use to double the recipe and bake it in a 9x13 inch pan, but now I just do the regular recipe. It seems we have plenty of sweets around here since I started doing this blog! I might have to start imposing on my neighbors and share with them. This coffee cake whips up pretty fast. This morning I decided to add a little glaze to it, but it's good without.

Favorite Coffee Cake
1/1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Topping
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons firm butter
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 in square pan or an 8 or 9 inch round cake pan. Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk to mix. Cut in shortening. Add egg, vanilla and milk, mix well. Pour into prepared pan. In a small bowl mix flour, cinnamon and brown sugar for topping. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.



Optional Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teasppon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
1-2 tablespoons of milk
Mix in a small bowl, I used my hand mixer. Drizzle over cake.









No comments: