My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Last Saturday


Last Saturday Morning's Race

These are some running friends after the race. That's Trista on the left, Andrea's in the middle, and that's me with the little piggy tails! It was a gorgeous morning, and a fun race with lots of hills! We're training for the Top Of Utah Marathon in September. It will be my third time and their first! I'm excited to have some more running buddies! We're going for a run in a little while; I found a new trail to take them on. Ahh, I love it when I find a new trail! I grew up in Washington State, you know, the green side across from Seattle. About 18 years ago, after living here, I realized that we had moved to a desert state, Utah! What a difference! It wasn't until a few years ago when I started running trails with some friends that I fell in love with Utah. They took me to places that were green and lush even in August! Now the trails make my heart sing and they call to me! I also can find the beauty in the wonderful smell of desert sage as I woosh past when I'm running, and I often see deer, squirrels and rabbits. I'm always bringing home feathers that I wear in my bandana like an Indian. I also usually have a piece of sagebrush or pine needle branch laying on my dresser. I'm really enjoying all the wildflowers right now. We've learned the names of them too! There's the purple ones, the yellow ones, the blue ones....

There's something else that calls to me, it's food! I don't eat these, but my family enjoys them. They are baking powder biscuits. A very simple recipe, and in my opion taste better than the ones from a can, and I always have all the ingredients on hand!













Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup milk
Put the flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix with a whisk. Cut in the shortening with a pastry tool. Stir in the milk until just mixed. Put some flour on your counter and plop the dough out. Knead about 10 times and pat it out until it's about an inch or so thick. Cut with a round cutter and put on a baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
















These biscuits are a great addition to a meal.

1 comment:

Andria said...

Hi Carol!
I love your blog! I will get lots of recipes off of it I can tell. The picture is great too!!! Thanks for being the best visiting running teacher ever. Love, Andria