My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Best Chocolate Cake

P4020062

Sloan had a costume party for her birthday. A few of her friends came early and raided our costume box. Sloan is wearing my pink prom dress I made when I was 16.

P4020065

Chauncey wore two of Sloan’s tutu’s and one of his favorite hats. We’re still not sure what he was suppose to be!

P4020076

A couple of swim team friends came after the group picture.

P4020067

P4020075

I forgot to take a picture of the food table. We had a candy theme.

P3300053

This is my daughter Jennie’s chocolate cake recipe, and it is the best and easiest chocolate cake ever! One of the things that make it so wonderful is the King Arthur Cocoa that I bought when I was in Maine.

The Best Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 cups cocoa powder*

3 cups flour

3 cups sugar

1 teaspoon soda

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

3 eggs

1 1/2 cup buttermilk

1 1/2 cup hot water

3/4 cup oil

1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 8” round cake pans (or two 6” round pans and 24 cupcakes) with Baker’s Joy and parchment paper.

Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into mixer bowl.

On low, stir in eggs, buttermilk, hot water, oil, and vanilla; beat until smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping bowl as necessary.

Pour into prepared pans and bake, rotating the pans once, 35-45 minutes. (Less for the cupcakes)

Remove cakes to a cooling rack and let cool in the pans for 15 minutes before unmolding.

When the cakes (and cupcakes) are completely cool, frost with icing.

The Best Frosting

1 cup butter, room temperature

1 teaspoon vanilla

Heavy Cream

6-8 cups Confectioners Sugar, sifted

In a mixer beat the butter and vanilla until fluffy. Add 3 cups of confectioners sugar and beat well, Add some cream and 2 more cups of confectioners sugar beating well, add more cream and more confectioners sugar until you have the desired consistency.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't have birthday parties growing up and I can't wait for my kids to be a bit bigger so I can throw them this kind of "theme" party they can invite all of their friends to!

Love the idea and looks like she had a great bday!

Krisztina Clifton said...

Stopping by from The Blog Entourage to let you know that my Monday recipe linky is for brunch recipes, if you have any recipe posts you could link up with.
That cake looks amazing!