My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 31, 2011

How to make Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk & Evaporated Milk

I have been meaning to share these two recipes with you. The first one is for How to make Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk, I first got this recipe when I was first married. I really like to use this when a recipe calls for a can of sweetened condensed milk, this doesn’t have the canned taste that the boughten has, and it’s cheaper!

The evaporated milk is one my mother came up with years ago.

Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk:

Place the following ingredients into a blender in this order~


2/3 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. melted butter or margarine
1/3 c. boiling water
1 cup dry milk

Cover and blend until smooth. The mixture will thicken as it blends. It will become even thicker as it cools.

Pour into a container and cool completely before using. This recipe yields one can of commercial size sweetened condensed milk.

 

A nice substitute when you don’t have a can of evaporated milk.

Evaporated Milk

2/3 cup dry milk powder
3/4 cup water

Mix together. Makes 1 cup.

I have used this as a substitute for heavy cream in some of my recipes.

6 comments:

nicolthepickle (Nicole Graham) said...

Dry milk is really expensive here. I'm not sure that this would be an effective alternative for me.
I don't know. I'm going to save the recipe anyways :).

MikiHope said...

That is really good to know!! Thank you

Michele

DK said...

That sweetened condensed milk recipe came with our commodities one time when I was a kid and my family has been using it ever since. We never used the powdered milk other than in this or in baking because nobody could stand the taste.

I do agree with nicolthepickle, though, dry milk is expensive around here and the recipe isn't really worth it unless you have commodities or know someone who does and can get some of theirs that they won't use.

Unknown said...

Wow - these are so easy! I was thinking there would be cooking on the stove for hours and constant watching so it wouldn't burn.

Oh, and if you do the math, dry milk isn't that expensive. Consider how much it costs per gallon and, unless your store is having an amazing sale, it's about the same price.

Tree said...

How cool is this! I'm always "missing" at least one of those ingredients when I'm ready to make something. This is great.. thanks!

Frieda Loves Bread said...

I've tried a recipe much like this with no success. It was grainy. I used non fat dry milk; should I have used the INSTANT dry milk powder?