My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Song For Sunday~Where Can I Turn For Peace

Have you ever studied the words to Hymn 129 - "Where can I Turn for Peace"? I've never thought of this hymn in terms of the peace that can come when we need to forgive others. I've thought of it more in terms of some of the personal struggles I've had in life - hurts, but never made the connection with forgiveness. Let these words sooth your soul as you think of them in these terms.

Forgiving others who hurt us or those we love is sometimes very difficult. We don't see the entire picture the way that the Savior does. He completely understands both sides.

We are often taught the importance of the Atonement in our lives, but do we ever concentrate on the atonement in the lives of others.  Do we help or hinder their progress when we will not forgive their mistakes. We have to be willing to apply the Atonement both ways - for  our mistakes and also the mistakes of others. I think Faith plays a big part in being able to forgive. Trusting our Heavenly Father to be both just and merciful.

 

 

"Where Can I turn for peace,
Where is my solace when other sources cease to make me whole.
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart, searching my soul

Where, when my aching grows,
Where when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?

Who, who can understand
He, only One.
He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching,

In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind
Love without end."

1 comment:

Rose said...

good song. i usually will forgive and keep building on a relationship. i admit i do struggle at times with my anger and this isn't me. i need to pray and ask for God's help when i'm like this. rose