My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Happy Labor Day and Chicken Pot Pie

                    P8300679 

 Chauncey asked me if I’d make chicken pot pie. Last time I made it I used cream of chicken soup. This time I decided to make the whole thing from scratch. This pie turned out perfect! Here’s a link to my other Chicken Pot Pie Recipe.

 

Chicken Pot Pie

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

pepper to taste

1 1/2 cups milk

1 1/2 cups chicken stock

1 small onion chopped

3 potatoes, diced

1 cup carrots, diced

2 cups chicken, diced

Crust

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup shortening

6 tablespoons cold water

Cook the vegetables in water until just tender. Drain and set aside.

In a sauce pan melt the 1/2 cup butter. Stir in the flour and cook for about 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk, salt and chicken stock. Cook until it boils and it’s thick and bubbly.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Pick out your pan, I used a springform pan.

In a bowl whisk the 2 cups flour and the salt. Cut the shortening in until it’s the size of peas. Sprinkle in the cold water and mix until it forms a ball.

Roll out the dough and fit it into your pan. Trim off the excess and roll that into a ball. Roll the ball of dough into a circle.

Put the drained veggies and the chicken in the pie crust. Pour on the sauce and top with the rest of the pastry. Trim edges and tuck the top crust down and kind of pinch it with your fingers to seal.

Bake for 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Ava said...

looks so good.I have always been intimidated making a homemade chicken potpie.

www.retrohousewiferemix.blogspot.com

Jenna said...

My husband is constantly asking for chicken pot pie! This is great!!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.