My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, April 26, 2010

I've been tagged! Braided Strawberry Danish



I have been Photo Tagged! Rosemary from Steadfast Ahoy! has tagged me! When I got this, I was a little worried about what kind of picture I would find. Before I show you the picture, here's the rules~ 1) Go to your photo files, select the 8Th photo folder. 2) Select the 8Th photo in that folder. 3) Post that photo along with the story behind it 4) Then challenge 8 blogging friends to do the same!


This is a picture of my grandson Reese. He's in my dad's shop while my dad is doing some carpentry work. Reese swept up all this sawdust, then had so much fun playing in it. It looks like my dad is totally oblivious to what Reese is doing!
I love this picture, he's such a busy little boy!

So, I'm tagging~

Jennie (my sweet daughter) at Tuffet
Jen at Here at the Hive
Deb at Jeremiah 29:11
Kara at Creations by Kara
Traci at Beneath My Heart
Amanda at My Life With Rats and More
Ginger at Appleseed Gifts
Ashley at Veater Family Adventure
s





I found this recipe at Sinful Southern Sweets blog. It looked pretty easy and I had all the ingredients.
Mine didn't turn out as pretty looking as hers, but I still thought it looked nice. My family gobbled it up. The directions sound like a little bit of work, but I thought it went together pretty easy, and it is really yummy!

Braided Strawberry Danish


2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
3 ounces cream cheese
½ cup milk
½ cup strawberry preserves

Icing

½ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla

In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk vigorously to distribute the baking soda and salt.

With a pastry cutter or the tips of your fingers, cut the cream cheese and butter into the flour mixture.

Quickly and gently blend in the milk.


Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead VERY LIGHTLY for 4-5 strokes.
NOTE This is the step at which you can ruin the coffeecake. If you overwork the dough, the pastry will be tough. Just gather the dough together and don’t worry about making it smooth. It will still look a little rough. That’s perfect.

On waxed paper, roll the dough to an 8- by 12-inch rectangle.

Turn dough out onto a lightly greased baking sheet and remove the waxed paper.

Measure and mark the dough lengthwise into thirds.




Spread preserves down the middle third of the dough, keeping it about ½ inch from the mark on both sides.

Make 2¾-inch slight diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals on each the long sides. Do not cut into the center jam-filled area.





Fold strips, first one from one side and then one from the other side in a rotating fashion, over the filling. The coffeecake will now resemble a braid.







Bake in a 425° oven for 15-20 minutes, until the dough is cooked through and the top is lightly browned.

In a small glass measuring cup with a pouring spout, combine the sugar, milk, and vanilla. Drizzle over the top of the coffeecake.

If desired, sprinkle on the toasted sliced almonds while the icing is still wet.


No comments: