My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Works For Me Wednesday, An Award and Candy Cane Cookies


I'm linking up with Kristen over at We Are THAT Family for Works For Me Wednesday.

This week Kristen suggested that we do a backwards edition and ask our readers a question, so here is my question -

When you visit my blog do you like to see what I'm baking, what's for dinner or to see what I'm sewing, crafting or where I'm running?

I love to read your comments, and if you leave me an email, I will answer them, I promise!

Now after you check out this yummy recipe below, head on over to We Are THAT Family and see what other bloggers are asking!




Lori over at Wildflowers gave me an award! Thank you so much Lori! This is a really fun award. Now I need to share with you 10 things that make me truly happy! So, here goes!


Running is one of my favorite things to do, especially if it's a gorgeous trail like this! We call this Zulu's trail. Zulu is my friends running dog and he found this trail. We have fun names for all our trails!I sing in a really great choir called the Box Elder Symphonic Choir. We have around 80 men and women. We have a lot of fun learning new songs.

This is my son's dog Seamus. He's my favorite. He's such a sweetie with such a cute little personality.

Fifi is our daughter Sloan's dog. She's my second favorite dog! She has a great personality too, but she barks a little.I love to sew and create things. This was a little present I made for a friend.I love going on hikes with my kids. I can't wait until spring comes so we can hike again. I took this picture on one of our summer hikes.



I love to hang clothes out on the line in the nice weather. Especially when my lilacs are in bloom!
I love Lindt dark chocolate! Hmm, it's my favorite!



I love to read! I especially like Diane Mott Davidson's books. They're about food, what can I say?This tea only comes out at Christmas, and it's my favorite! Mmm, it's so good to curl up with after a nice snowy cold run!


I love a nice warm hoodie in the cold weather! Especially with a turtleneck!


I love holding hands with my honey!

So that's my top 10 things I like. This was really fun to put together! I hope you enjoyed it!

I'm going to pass this award on to -

Jennie over at Tuffet
Traci at Beneath My Heart
Brandi at Back Porch Gift Baskets N Goodies
Kara at Creations By Kara



Ok, I know Christmas is over, but I always have leftover candy canes, so when I ran across this recipe from Tea and Wheaten Bread I ran right downstairs and whipped up a batch! I crushed the candy canes in their wrappers in a big ziplock baggie with my marble rolling pin. Actually it was more like bashing the heck out of them, which was fun!

Candy Cane Cookies

2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg yolk
6 ounces chocolate chips
6-8 candy canes crumbled
2 ounces white chocolate

Heat oven to 350degrees. Spray 13×9x2-inch metal baking pan with Pam.

Whisk flour and salt in medium bowl. In a mixer, beat the butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar. Continue beating until mixture is light and fluffy, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla, then egg yolk. Gradually add flour mixture, beating on low speed just to blend.

Drop dough by tablespoonfuls into prepared baking pan, spacing evenly. Using moistened fingertips, press dough to form even layer over bottom of pan. Pierce dough all over with fork.

Bake cookie base until light golden brown and slightly puffed and edges begin to come away from sides of pan, about 30 minutes. Place pan on rack; immediately sprinkle the chopped chocolate over. Let stand until chocolate softens, about 3 minutes. Using small offset spatula, spread chocolate over top of cookie in thin even layer. Immediately sprinkle chopped candy canes over the chocolate.

Stir white chocolate in medium metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth. If it’s too tough and thick to stir, add a tiny drizzle of vegetable oil or 1/2 tsp. of shortening to thin it out. Remove from over water. Using fork, drizzle white chocolate all over cookies. Chill until white chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.




3 comments:

Lori said...

Great list Carol! I always love to see what makes people happy. I always "tune in" to see what you are baking and the pictures of where you live and in turn where you are running!

Rhyleysgranny said...

I am so thrilled you made the cookies. I enjoyed reading and looking at your favourite things. You have a lovely Blog and some really nice recipes. I am going to put you on my list. I look forward to seeing more from you
Brenda x

Anonymous said...

Interessant!