My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Giant Can Of Clams And Clam Fritters



My mother in law use to make clam fritters for my hubby when he was growing up. Early on in our marriage he asked me to make him some. I didn't know what they were, so I found a recipe for fritter batter and I just added clams to it. My husband loved them more than his moms! It was years later when his mom made some when we were visiting her. She made them a lot different than I did. She made them more like a pancake and just browned them on a griddle. I found this recipe with the giant can of clams I bought at Costco to make my clam chowder for Christmas Eve. This recipe uses a lot more clams and it uses the clam juice instead of milk. It was a big hit with my family! Even Sloan loved them!

Clam Fritters


1 giant can of clams ( 510z) drained, save juice
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
oil for frying, I used canola, about 3 inches up side of frying pan

Heat the oil in a frying pan.

Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl.

Measure out 2 1/2 cups of the clams and about 1 1/2 cups of the clam juice.

Add the clam juice and the eggs to the flour mixture until just mixed. Add the clams and mix.

Drop by heaping spoonfuls into the hot oil. Sometimes it help to turn the burner up a little at this point because the fritters make the oil temperature go down. Flip with tongs when golden brown. Remove to paper towel lined platter when golden brown all over. I keep the platter on warm in my oven while I cook the whole batch.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your recipe is awesome! I tweaked it a bit by adding seasoned breadcrumbs. I made them into meatball shapes and then made a garlic, salt peper and butter dipping sauce. Yum! Thankyou for the start!
Enjoy your day!