My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday and Un-stuffed Cabbage Rolls

I've linked this post up to Kitchen Stewardship, The "Meals that Hamburger Helper was TRYING to Imitate: Carnival. So if you like my Un-stuffed Cabbage recipe be sure and check out some other great meals!



Here's a little Works For Me Wednesday tip I learned on my own. I wanted to cook some rice for dinner, but I had just gotten it to a boil when I had to go run an errand. So, I turned the burner off and just left the pan of rice on the burner with the lid on. When I came home about fifty minutes later, the rice was cooked perfect! The other tip I have is instead of using the 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice like the package of rice says, use 1 1/2 cups water to 1 cup of rice. The rice will be perfect and not all sticky! It works for me! After you check out my recipe be sure and head on over to We Are That Family and see what everyone else is up too!



This is a fast inexpensive casserole that everyone loves. I've had lots of people ask for the recipe at potluck dinners. You can also cook it in the oven, just brown the hamburger add all the ingredients along with the cooked rice, cover and cook in the oven for 1-2 hours at 300 degrees.



Un-stuffed Cabbage Rolls

1 lb hamburger
1 large onion
4-5 cups shredded cabbage
2 small cans tomato sauce, I add about 1/4 cup water to rinse out the cans
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoky paprika, or regular
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cooked rice*

In a crockpot set to low layer all the ingredients in order given. Put the lid on and cook for 4 hours, stir. Add cooked rice and stir. Let cook for a few more hours with the lid on.

*For the rice, when I'm getting the crockpot ready, I mix 1 cup of uncooked rice and 1 1/2 cups water in a covered pan. Bring to a boil and turn the burner off, letting the rice sit with the lid on. It will cook in about an hour. I just leave it and add it to the crockpot when needed.






3 comments:

Julie VW said...

Followed the link from Kitchen Stewardship (and just happen to have cabbage in the fridge - so this could work out well for me this weekend!)

Thanks!

Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship said...

You had me at cabbage - I'm always looking for more recipes to use one up, and the fact that it can go into the slow cooker is even better. This is definitely bookmarked!! You got one of the highest hits from the carnival, too. Could you please include a link back?

Thanks!
:) Katie

Julie VW said...

I slightly "Katie-i-fied" the recipe (replacing some of the hamburger with ground turkey and adding a some cooked lentils). My husband LOVED it last night for dinner (and is currently enjoying leftovers as lunch).

Thank you for sharing - great recipe!