My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Clam Chowder




This is my families favorite clam chowder recipe.  I make it every year for Christmas Eve dinner.  Since I forgot to take a picture I made it again, which my family really liked.  I remember a few years ago my brother was here for Christmas Eve and he heard that we were having clam chowder he thought he would be hungry afterward.  He was very happily full after one bowl of my clam chowder.  This recipe has just kind of evolved over the years. 

Clam Recipe

1 qt cream
25 oz clams (2 1/2 cups drained clams, half of a 51oz can of clams)
2 cups clam juice (from the can of clams)
2 cups diced potatoes, 2 med size
1 large onion
5-6 slices of bacon, cubed
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
dash red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt

1 teaspoon onion powder
dash smoked paprika or regular paprika

Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender, drain.

In a frying pan cook the bacon until browned, add the onion and cook until translucent. Drain into a colander.

In a large soup pot heat the butter, add the flour and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the clam juice and whisk and cook until it boils and starts to thicken.  Add the milk, clams, potaotes, onion baccon mixture and seasonings.    Then add the cream and heat through. 

1 comment:

sewtakeahike said...

that sounds awesome! thanks for sharing the recipe!