My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://songberries.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Fall Run and Instant Rise Whole Wheat Bread

I thought I'd share some pictures from my run yesterday.

Don't you love fall!
This is the little town of Mantua. There are lots of great trails up in the mountains!

The creek looks so pretty with a bed of leaves next to it.


I love a nice windy dirt road, especially if it leads to a trail!


We call this Zulu's Trail! One of my friends has an African Ridge back named Zulu, and he found this trail one day when they were out running.

This trail is not very long, but it's pretty!

I even found a birds nest.

And I found an apple tree with some great apples on it. I even got permission to go back and pick some!


I found a new trail with a bridge over the creek.

This creek bed is dry now, but will be raging when the snow melts next spring.






I found this recipe in a cooking with wheat cookbook. It turned out really good, and has a great texture. I love to make whole wheat bread for my family.

Instant Rise Whole Wheat Bread

5 cups hot water
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup sugar or honey
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons regular yeast
10 cups whole wheat flour

Heat the oven to 250 degrees and spray 3 loaf pans with Pam.

Put 2 cups of the hot water in a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Sprinkle the yeast on top and 1 tablespoon of the sugar or honey. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the rest of the sugar or honey, oil and 6 cups of the flour and mix well. Add the rest of the flour and the salt and knead for 10 minutes.

Oil a counter top and scoop dough onto the oiled surface. Divide into 3 loaves. Work the dough in your hands until the top is smooth. Tuck in the ends and dip the top of the loaf into the oiled bread pan and then flip it seam side down. Place the loaves in the oven for 20 minutes.

Turn the oven up to 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes. Remove pans from oven and remove bread from pans and cool on wire racks. You can brush the bread with water, oil or butter.

Head over to Marie-madeline Studios for a great giveaway!



1 comment:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Yes, I love fall - it's really my favorite time of year!

What a beautiful place to run! Looks like a good recipe - thank you!

Manuela